Sunday, January 29, 2012

Land of Wind and Rain

When I first moved to northern New York, my students taught me something important: If you want it to snow, you must sleep with your pajamas on wrong-side out and backwards. For two winters, I practiced that. This winter, I forgot! You can see what happened: We have had wind. We have had rain. We have not had snow. You can see the grass.

But some of my colleagues reminded me of this snow magic, and so I tried it. We've had a little snow. I asked my new students if they knew any others. Yes. To bring snow, you must sleep with a spoon under your pillow. To bring snow, you must flush three ice cubes down the toilet. And from the Wedding-Guest, putting a Pop-Tart in the freezer can bring snow.

I'm thinking of having a study, complete with control group, among my students to find out which of these methods is most effective. As for me and my house, we shall sleep wrong-side out and backwards, flush ice down the toilet, leave Cinderella's (more on her later) chocolate Pop-Tart in the freezer, and sleep with spoons under our pillows. I will let you know what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment