Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Groundhog Day

On Feb. 2, it was Groundhog Day and the groundhog came out in my favor, but you wouldn't know to look at my surroundings. It is still warm -- in the 40s, most days -- and the green grass is everywhere. Even the little piles of snow that came while we were in Oklahoma have melted all away. Now it's just muddy and cold, like spring.

I can't decide whether to give up on the idea of snow or keep trying the magic my students have taught me. My 1:25 students tell me that if I give up and quit wishing for snow, it is more likely to come. They are my main source of magic tricks for bringing snow, as most of them are from around here and learned all the spells when they were little. They are starting to feel sorry for me...except my two ice fishermen. They are starting to secretly join me in the magic spells, I think.

I'm not writing very well tonight. I am distracted. But I just wanted to let you know, in case you are interested, that winter has yet to arrive, and it is almost spring. But I was born in the coldest, snowiest month at home, so maybe snow will come yet. We had a little today -- hard pellets of snow that lasted for just about 20 minutes. It didn't count, but it was something.

If I have hope, I'm afraid the snow will not come. But what if I give up, and that makes the snow not come? I'm not sure of the proper attitude...although my students, already learning to turn my writing advice around on me, say I should go with the flow and fix it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment