Thursday, October 29, 2009

Reading List (A Lazy Blog)

I went to work this morning and mostly did work all day...minus a long conversation about advising with my department chair and another long conversation about writing with my officemate (but these conversations are what make the frustrating moments of teaching bearable, so I don't think they're quite a sin). I came home just long enough to walk Tula and eat chili too quickly, then I had to rush back to campus for the North Country Writers Festival contest winners reception (I was a judge of that contest). It was fun, but I'm just now back home, and it's time for bed!

So, instead of a regular blog I'll just list the books I'm reading at the moment, which I think is usually a good indication of what's going on in a person's life:

1. Fairies Faith in Celtic Religion (I think that is the wrong title, and I can't remember the author because I left the book in my office. It is what began as the author's 1911 dissertation on the subject. I read it while I eat lunch if I don't have to grade essays.)

2. Bait and Switch by Barbara Ehrenreich (I read this one in the mornings...except at the moment, it is lost! At least I own it, though.)

3. The Palace of the Snow Queen: Winter Travels in Lapland by Barbara Sjoholm (library book I haven't started yet but will start soon. I love books about the cold!)

4. Just After Sunset by Stephen King (a book of short stories; it's in the bathroom)

5. Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes (another library book I haven't started yet, but I'm so glad our library has more Keyes books now!)

6. Samuel (in the Old Testament. We have been reading a chapter each out loud before bed, and Samuel is where we've gotten to. So glad to be out of Leviticus!)

I am participating in National Novel Writing Month for the second time. For those of you who don't know, NaNoWriMo is a challenge to write a novel (it can be a laughably bad one) during the month of November. It has to be at least 50,000 words to "win." (Everyone who completes a novel wins!) I didn't win last year. This year, I don't even have a plot, main character...anything! I hope some of you will join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment